Is Guava Good for Weight Loss? Here’s What Research Say Blog – HealthifyMe Blog – HealthifyMe – The definitive guide to weight loss, fitness and living a healthier life.
Fruits contain nutrients that are essential for good health. It is well-established that those consuming more fruits as part of an overall healthy diet are less prone to developing chronic diseases. In addition, since nearly the majority of fruits are naturally low in calories, they are excellent for weight loss. In the world, there are about 2000 different kinds of fruits, each with its own unique nutrient content and health advantages. One such fruit with many health benefits is the guava.
We have all enjoyed eating guava with salt or guava chaat with masala. But including it in your diet plan will significantly assist you in losing weight.
Continue reading to learn more about this crunchy fruit and how to incorporate it into your weight loss plan.
Guavas and Weight Loss: Are Guavas Good for Weight Loss?
Guavas are an excellent choice for weight loss. They are a filling, low-calorie snack with only 37–55 calories per fruit. In addition, they include an abundant amount of vitamins and minerals. Therefore, unlike other low-calorie foods, you will not miss any vital nutrients.
Guava is one of the protein-rich fruits. Protein and fibre both take longer to digest and help you feel fuller for longer. Furthermore, the high fibre content aids with metabolism regulation. Guavas also contain a lot of fibre, which aids in smooth digestion. There are 5.4 grams of fibre in 100 grams of guava. In addition, green guavas have much less sugar than other fruits like apples, oranges, or grapes.
Guava is a low-GI fruit that aids in weight management and does not cause an increase in blood sugar levels. It is the most beneficial fruit for hormonal abnormalities. This fruit is rich in nutrients appropriate for people with diabetes and weight watchers. Researchers found that guava consumption helps lower blood sugar and cholesterol levels. It also raises levels of high-density lipoprotein or good cholesterol. Guavas are also a good source of manganese, which aids in the body’s absorption of other vital nutrients from our diet.
When you are full, you innately stop eating more high-fat foods, which allows for effective and natural weight loss. It should be noted that there is neither a particular food for weight loss nor weight gain. It is all about moderation and the calories you consume and spend. The best strategy to lose weight is increasing your daily physical activity while consuming fewer calories overall.
What Other Health Advantages Do Guavas Offer?
- Guavas provide a lot of vitamin C. According to research, vitamin C is essential for boosting your immune system and warding off illnesses by destroying harmful bacteria and viruses.
- Guava has a low glycemic index and is a rich source of fibre, making it suitable for people with diabetes. Guava leaf extracts help lower blood sugar levels, according to a study. Additionally, they can aid in regulating high blood sugar levels and hypoadiponectinemia, a risk factor for high blood pressure and heart disease.
- The magnesium content in guava is instrumental in calming down the body’s muscles and nerves. In addition, Guava is a stress reliever that gives your body a much-needed energy boost.
- Antioxidants, including lycopene, quercetin, vitamin C, and other polyphenols, neutralise free radicals in the body and stop the development of cancerous cells. For example, a study found that guava leaf extracts lower the risk of prostate cancer and prevent the formation of cancer cells.
- Guavas are a well-known fruit that enhances the health of the eyes. Research indicates that the presence of vitamin A aids in vision improvement. Additionally, it shields one from getting cataracts and macular degeneration.
Best Time to Have Guavas For Weight Loss
One to two medium-sized guavas per day can assist in weight loss by lowering calorie intake, keeping you fuller for longer, and eliminating unhealthy snacking and overeating. In addition, guava makes a delicious snack that will satisfy your appetite after breakfast, lunch, or in the evening. Therefore, you can have it as a mid-morning or evening snack.
Guava Recipes for Weight Loss
- Guava Smoothie
Total Time: 5 minutes
- Guava: 1 cup (chopped)
- Frozen banana: ½ cup (sliced)
- Low-fat yoghurt: ½ cup
- Blend all ingredients and serve.
- Guava Salad
Total Time: 5 minutes
- Guava chopped: 1 cup
- Pomegranate pearls: 1 cup
- Apple: 1 cup (diced)
- Mint chopped: 1 tbsp
- Cucumber: 1 cup (diced)
- Red chilli powder: ¼ tsp
- Chat masala: ¼ tsp
- Lime juice: 1 tbsp
- Combine the dressing’s ingredients.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and toss them in the dressing.
Risks of Overconsumption
Guava is beneficial for weight loss. However, consuming too many can be unhealthy. Excessive consumption may result in indigestion, bloating, or diarrhoea. In addition, due to the impairment of smooth bowel processes caused by eating too many guavas, many people may also suffer from a bloated stomach.
Ways to Include Guava in Your Diet for Weight Loss
- You can sprinkle some chaat masala on guava slices to spice up the flavour
- You can add diced guavas to your smoothie bowl
- Salads can also include guavas
- You can also make a mixed fruit bowl for your mid-day meal
- By removing the guava’s skin, cutting it up into little pieces, and blending it with cold water, you can prepare guava juice
- You can also have a guava smoothie
Guavas are an excellent choice for weight loss. Despite having a low calorie count, they are nutrient-rich. They are high in fibre, which helps people feel full for a long time. They include a lot of vitamin C, which improves the immune system. In addition to being a fruit that is suitable for diabetics, it supports eye health. Extracts from guava leaves are quite potent. It may lower the risks of cancer.
A medium-sized guava or two is best per day. It can be enjoyed as a snack. Additionally, you can add it to salads and smoothies. However, guava overconsumption can result in bloating and diarrhoea.
Try incorporating guava into your meals in an exciting way! One of our favourite ways to eat guava is by making healthy guava salsa. Mix ripe guava with diced onions, jalapenos, cilantro, and lime juice. Serve with grilled fish or chicken for a flavorful and low-calorie meal. Another unique way to enjoy guava is by making a guilt-free guava sorbet. Freeze chopped guava and blend it with a splash of lime juice and a bit of honey. Enjoy this refreshing and low-calorie dessert guilt-free. These recipes are not only easy to make but are also delicious and will help you lose weight in a healthy way.
The Final Word
The first step in the weight loss process is persistence and determination. In addition, a healthy diet is essential for losing weight. We should maintain a balanced diet and eat a variety of foods. It provides your body with a mix of vital nutrients and also ensures healthy weight loss.
Disclaimer: The purpose of this article is just to disperse knowledge and raise awareness. It does not intend to replace medical advice from professionals. For further information, please contact our certified nutritionists Here.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Is guava good for weight loss?
A. Certainly, guavas are low in calories. They include a lot of fibre, slowing digestion and promoting satiety by making you feel full. So naturally, by avoiding excessive consumption of other high-fat foods when you are full, you can lose weight in a healthy and effective method.
Q. What makes guava beneficial for weight loss?
A. Guavas are high in fibre and low in calories, so they may make you feel full and help you lose weight. There are 5.4 grams of fibre and 68 calories per 100 grams of guava.
Q. How much guava should I eat per day for weight loss?
A. One to two medium-sized guavas per day can aid in weight loss by lowering calorie intake and eliminating unhealthy snacking and overeating.
Q. Can guava juice help with weight loss?
A. Guava juice can help people lose weight. It can give you a prolonged feeling of fullness. You can incorporate guava juice into your diet every day. Guava juice is low in fat and has a high water content. It includes various vitamins and minerals. Moreover, it has a low sugar content. However, fruit fibre gets removed by juicing. Therefore, it is always recommended to have whole fruits rather than juices.
Q. Is it better to eat guava with or without the skin for weight loss?
A. When it comes to weight loss, eating guava with the skin is a better option. The skin of guava is rich in dietary fibre, which helps in keeping you full for a longer time and reduces your appetite. This can ultimately lead to decreased overall calorie intake, which is essential for weight loss. Moreover, guava skin also contains vital vitamins and minerals beneficial for your health. Therefore, it is recommended to eat guava with the skin for weight loss as it can aid in controlling your appetite and provide various nutrients essential for your overall health.
Q. What other health benefits does guava have besides weight loss?
A. Guavas are a powerhouse of nutrients and offer several health benefits. It is anti-ageing and diabetes-friendly. Guavas contain vitamin C, which helps to boost immunity. The antioxidants reduce the risk of cancer. Additionally, it aids in treating constipation and enhancing vision. Because the fruit contains magnesium, it helps to relieve tension. The muscles and nerves get relaxed as a result.
Q. Can guava cause weight gain?
A. Guava intake cannot result in weight gain. Guavas are weight-loss-friendly fruit. A healthy way to eat is to consume everything in proportion. One guava has just 37 to 55 calories. They are nutrient-dense, unlike some other low-calorie snacks. Therefore, you will be getting all the essential nutrients.
Q. Can eating too much guava be harmful to weight loss?
A. Moderation is the key to good health. Guavas are foods that are beneficial for weight loss. For individuals who consume guava fruits in moderation, there are no harmful side effects. However, guava can cause gas and bloating if consumed in excess. It may also cause irritable bowel syndrome or diarrhoea.
Q. Are there any precautions I should take while consuming guava for weight loss?
A. Guava is generally considered a healthy food choice for weight loss due to its low calorie and high fibre content, but there are a few precautions to keep in mind. Firstly, moderation is key – while guava can aid in weight loss, consuming too much of it can still result in excess calorie intake. Additionally, guava is a natural laxative and consuming too much of it may cause digestive issues such as diarrhoea or stomach cramps. It’s also essential to ensure that guava is consumed as part of a balanced diet and not relied on as the sole source of nutrition. Lastly, those with allergies to similar fruits, such as kiwi or papaya, should exercise caution when consuming guava.
Q. Can guava be a part of a weight loss diet plan?
A. Certainly, guavas are loaded with vitamins and minerals. They are low in calories and high in fibre content. Guavas’ fibre content slows digestion and promotes satiety and fullness. All of these make it a superfood for weight loss.
- Hemilä H, Chalker E. Vitamin C for preventing and treating the common cold. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Jan 31;2013(1): CD000980. Doi 10.1002/14651858.CD000980.pub4. PMID: 23440782; PMCID: PMC8078152.
- Deguchi Y, Miyazaki K. Anti-hyperglycemic and anti-hyperlipidemic effects of guava leaf extract. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2010 Feb 2;7:9. Doi 10.1186/1743-7075-7-9. PMID: 20181067; PMCID: PMC2831039.
- Chen KC, Hsieh CL, Peng CC, Hsieh-Li HM, Chiang HS, Huang KD, Peng RY. Brain-derived metastatic prostate cancer DU-145 cells are effectively inhibited in vitro by guava (Psidium gujava L.) leaf extracts. Nutr Cancer. 2007;58(1):93-106. doi 10.1080/01635580701308240. PMID: 17571972.
- Thirunavukarasu AJ, Ross AC, Gilbert RM. Vitamin A, systemic T-cells, and the eye: Focus on degenerative retinal disease. Front Nutr. 2022 Jul 18;9:914457. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2022.914457. PMID: 35923205; PMCID: PMC9339908.
- Kumari S, Rakavi R, Mangaraj M. Effect of Guava in Blood Glucose and Lipid Profile in Healthy Human Subjects: A Randomized Controlled Study. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016 Sep;10(9):BC04-BC07. Doi 10.7860/JCDR/2016/21291.8425. Epub 2016 Sep 1. PMID: 27790420; PMCID: PMC5071920.
The post Is Guava Good for Weight Loss? Here’s What Research Say appeared first on Blog – HealthifyMe.
#Guava #Good #Weight #Loss #Heres #Research