This easy porridge recipe is made with an easy mix of ground pepitas, sunflower seeds, warm spices, and oats. Make a jar of porridge mix for the week! All you have to do is simmer a few tablespoons with your favorite milk for a creamy breakfast option.
Easy Porridge Recipe
Step up your breakfast cereal game in the morning and make this creamy and delicious porridge recipe. It is the perfect breakfast recipe to double and store in the pantry for an easy recipe for the week.
Why we love this porridge
It’s packed with fiber.
You get healthy fats and protein from pepitas and sunflower seeds.
It’s easy to make this recipe your own and substitute other seeds and nuts.
Make this recipe your own by topping it with your favorite fruit or nut butter.
Oats: to add a bit of a bite to this porridge we use rolled oats and ground them up a bit.
Pepitas + sunflower seeds: this porridge thickens and gets its delicious texture from ground-up seeds. We prefer raw seeds and nuts, but if you have salted, that’s ok too.
Maple syrup: this porridge recipe is naturally sweetened with a bit of maple syrup.
Chai spices: we call for a chai spice mix or pumpkin pie spices to flavor this porridge, but you can use a combination of your favorite warm spices.
Rolled oats–> quick cooking oats
Peptias + sunflower seeds–> flax seeds, almonds, or any other seeds
Maple syrup–> honey or agave syrup
Chai spices–> any warm spices
How to Make Porridge
- Prepare the oats and seeds. Use a coffee bean grinder or a food processor to grind the oats, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds to a coarse powder.
- Cook the porridge. Transfer to a small pot on the stovetop, add chia seeds, spices, maple syrup, and milk, and stir. Cover the pot and bring the porridge to a simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes, string often.
- Top and serve. Transfer to four bowls and top with blueberries, peanut butter, chia seeds, and salt. Serve immediately.
Top Tips for Porridge
Make a double batch of the dry porridge mix to have on hand for the week.
If you like a thinner porridge, add more almond or oat milk.
You can make this savory porridge by serving it with an egg and chopped bacon.
This deilcious porrdige recipe is made with ground seeds, oats, and other nutritious ingredients. Top this creamy breakfast with your favorite nut butter and fruit.
- ⅔ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- ⅛ cup chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice or chai spice mix
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1.5-2 cups of almond milk or oat milk +more if desired
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon drippy peanut butter
- Sprinkle chia seeds
- Sprinkle of salt
- Pad of butter
Using a coffee bean grinder or a food processor, separately grind the oats, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds to a coarse powder. Some whole oats and seeds will remain and that’s ok. *If you are meal-prepping the porridge for the week see the instructions below.
Transfer to a small pot on the stovetop, add chia seeds, spices, maple syrup, and milk, and stir. Cover the pot and bring the porridge to a simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes, string often.
Transfer to four bowls and top with blueberries, peanut butter, chia seeds, and salt. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- If you are meal-prepping this porridge for the week. Add the ground oats, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds to a jar. Add the chia seeds and spices to the jar and mix. For a single serving, add about 2 tablespoons of the porridge mix to the pot with about ½ cup of milk. Continue with the instructions in the method.
- The amount of milk you use may vary depending ingredients and what texture you like in your porridge. For a soupier porridge add more milk.
Calories: 234kcal Carbohydrates: 42g Protein: 5g Fat: 6g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 21g