The first thing you need to know is the principle of get healthy to lose weight and not lose weight to get healthy.
Healthy Keto emphasizes the quality of the protein, fats and carb macros. We want to use higher quality ingredients and focus on getting healthy first.
1. The great majority of the population has too much insulin. Excessive amounts of insulin is behind most chronic health problems, heart problems, strokes and definitely diabetes, inflammatory conditions, cognitive deficiencies, and perhaps mood disorders. Unfortunately, 65% of the population is either pre-diabetic or diabetic. That is too much insulin. Getting healthy is normalizing insulin. We do not need zero insulin we just need normal insulin.
2. We want to add intermittent fasting to ketosis because it is another tool to lower insulin because every time you eat you trigger insulin. We want to do everything we can to help normalize insulin to get so many powerful health benefits. Also, when you are doing intermittent fasting you can actually potentially increase growth hormone four times higher than hard-core exercise. That is huge. This growth hormone is the anti-aging hormone.
You want to let your body tell you when to eat and how to do intermittent fasting so you go as long as you can and then when you are hungry you eat. What is going to happen is in the beginning you are going to eat a little bit more frequently and then all of a sudden it could even be a week or two you are not hungry anymore. Ride the wave, go as long as you can without eating. It could be 1 to 3 days but as long as you are consuming your electrolytes and sea salt, B vitamins you are going to do very well because prolonged fasting has even bigger benefits than regular intermittent fasting.
3. Do not get caught up in the significance of calories or macros. Keep it really simple because each body is different and you need to test this out on your body to see exactly how many grams that your body does well on of protein and fat and vegetables.
If we just take a plate if we cut it in half and we fill up half the plate with veggies. It is about four cups five cups of course you are going do this two times if you are doing two meals a day. if you are not you know then just do as much as you can but we need a lot of vegetables but believe it not the calories for these vegetables are very small given the total amount per day so it is really only about 5 to 10 % of your total calories because it is mostly fiber and water so that is the veggies. If you bloat then consume less we do not want you bloating.
Protein usually comes with fat so a lot of times this is a combination of protein and fat. You want about 3 to 6 ounces of protein, which is the actual piece of meat or fish the actual whole thing not the protein in that meat or fish it is about the actual whole food itself. That is only about 20 % of the calories. It is easier to just visualize the plate.
Fats could be like nuts olives avocados that type of fat. For the other carbohydrates we are dealing with about 5% that could be hummus, small amount of berries, things like that.
4. Consume higher amounts of fat in the start of the program and then less fat as you adapt to fat burning.
When you start this keto plan you want to increase the fat to be able to go from one meal to the next. Once you have adapted, the way that you know you have adapted is the hunger it goes away so you are no longer hungry. When you no longer have cravings – it is working. It is going to be easier.
If you have very hunger and no cravings you are going to be able to do it a lot longer. If you are on the higher carb diet, which is you are going to be hungry all the time and snacking all the time but once you have adapted to fat-burning, it could be one week to two weeks then you can actually start cutting down the fat a little bit, maybe down to 75 grams or less because that way we can force your body to eat its own fat and this is mainly for people that are trying to lose weight. You can speed it up by just kind of scaling it back a little bit.
Here is an excellent app to count carbs.
CARB MANAGER is the Most Comprehensive and Easiest-to-use Net and Total Carb Counter https://2healthyhabits.wordpress.com/2020/09/11/carb-manager-is-the-most-comprehensive-and-easiest-to-use-net-and-total-carb-counter-2/
5. Healthy Keto is really not a diet that you are going go on and go off this is really just a new way of eating. It is a lifestyle change. We are just fulfilling all of our nutrients and we are not eating all the carbohydrates. Sometimes people think that it is not normal not to eat that many carbohydrates but we are just aligning what our body needs based on blood sugars.
You have about a gallon and a third of blood in your body and normal sugars, which around like 75 to 85 milligrams per deciliter in your blood if you were to get tested now and if it was normal. It would be between 75 and 85, definitely under 100. That would come out to about one teaspoon of sugar (6 grams) for your entire blood, very small amount. You can actually get that sugar from eating protein or fat. Your body can convert that into sugar, so we really need no sugar but the average person consumes 31 teaspoons of sugar every single day. That is not normal.
When people say that we need more carbs because our brain needs it that is a lie we do not our body does not need that much. Healthy Keto is a healthy way of eating. The key is understanding why you are eating what you are eating. Why, because the bigger goal especially in the in the beginning is usually you are going on this program to solve a problem either weight, you have inflammation, you have some body issue and that is because the insulin needs to be normalized.
Healthy keto and intermittent fasting are two tools that can help you. Do not look at it as a diet. You cannot do it for a few weeks. When you stop doing it the weight will come back. Keep doing what worked it is not a diet that you are going to stop and go back to your junk food. It does not make sense so you want to do it long-term and you want to adjust the macros based on your own physiology.
This Post has been condensed from Dr. Berg’s video, 5 Things You Must Know About Ketosis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlbwAc4zI0M
Dr. Berg is a chiropractor who specializes in Healthy Ketosis & Intermittent Fasting. He is the author of the best-selling book The Healthy Keto Plan, and is the Director of Dr. Berg Nutritionals. He no longer practices, but focuses on health education through social media. He has taught students nutrition as an adjunct professor at Howard University.
Disclaimer: The content of this email or Post is not intended for the treatment or prevention of disease, nor as a substitute for medical treatment, nor as an alternative to medical advice. Use of recommendations is at the choice and risk of the reader.
There are various ways to keep up-to-date on my Posts.
My focus is to maximize my physical performance and mental clarity and most importantly overall health with a wholesome diet and exercise.
I will bring you compelling articles on Ketogenic and GAPS diets, the Super Slow High-Intensity Exercise Program and supplements.
I invite you to follow my Blog https://2healthyhabits.wordpress.com/ Please click the Follow button. Hint: You may have to click the Accept and Close button before the follow button is available. Please Click Like when a Post interests you.
Alternatively, you may wish to follow my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/2healthyhabits/ or follow on Twitter @LPolstra
If you send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org I would be pleased to add you to my email distribution list.
If you are reading this Post in my Blog and wish to contact me, please fill in this form starting with my email address email@example.com
May you Live Long Healthy.