One study proved 2.2 times more efficient and quicker weight loss for people on a keto-diet than the people on a low-fat, calorie-controlled diet.
This has been a very trending topic across the globe now and I assume every second person reading this blog already has atleast heard this term ‘ KETO-DIET’ .
Honestly speaking, I have never personally tried it yet ! But yes I would love to try it at least once after knowing and learning about its benefits.
Here’s what I have to share with all of you about keto-dieting.
I will be keeping the blog really short and sweet. Also, the blog will be more inclined towards the medical concepts. I’m sorry for the non-medicos reading it if you don’t exactly understand guys. You can always comment your questions below in the comment section and also you can E-mail me your queries. I’ll surely get back to yo with your answers simplified.
So, here are the most important concepts regarding the Keto-diet or the Ketogenic diet.
what is keto-diet?
Basically, it is a low-carb high fat diet. Simplifying it, in this diet the carbohydrate intake is drastically reduced and replaced with fat. This change in your normal diet intake will put your body into a natural metabolic condition called ‘KETOSIS’.
what is ketosis?
It is a natural metabolic state in which your body begins producing ketone bodies from the fat and start using the ketone bodies hence produced to supply energy to your body.
how does keto-diet effect a human body?
Here’s a small flowchart explaining it.
These ketone bodies can cross the Blood- brain barrier also and can provide energy to your brain for functioning well. Even in the absence of glucose!!!!
how can i put my body into ketosis?
That’s simple. You need to change the mode of energy of your body i.e. REMOVE grains,candies, sugary soft drinks, legumes, potatoes and fruits. Basically remove all sources of carbs completely. You are allowed to consume almost less than 500gms of carbs per day.
Replace the carb-deficient with high fat containing foods like eggs, poultry, meat, full-fat diary,nuts and non-starchy vegetables.
what are the benefits of keto- diet?
- Quick Weight Loss
- Helps preventing heart diseases ( because of decreased carbs).
- Helps people with Type 2 diabetes ( improves insulin sensitivity).
- Helps getting rid of extra belly fat.
- Helps curing high blood pressure.
- Helps in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Helps in cancer treatment ( by “starving” the cancer cells of glucose).
- Helps in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
- Helps treating acne.
- Slows down ageing.
- Improves sleep and mood.
- Increased energy efficiency.
What are the disadvantages of keto-diet?
- Increased cholesterol levels.
- Bad breath.
- Rarely, epileptic children have developed kidney stones.
- May cause hypoglycemia in some people.
how is ketosis different from ketoacidosis?
Ketosis is NATURAL metabolic state of the body whereas ketoacidosis is a condition where the bloodstream is flooded with extremely high levels of glucose (blood sugar) and ketone bodies. This leads to the condition called ” Acidic Blood”.
Ketoacidosis can be caused in uncontrolled type 1 or 2 diabetes and alcohol abuse.
sample diet plan for keto-diet
The meal plan provided below is just a sample meal plan which focuses on keeping the daily carb intake to be less than 50gms. You all can modify according to your conveniences and needs.
People with some medical issues please consult a doctor nearby before beginning with keto-diet.
Here’s a sample meal plan next for a week:-
- Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in pastured butter + Sauteed Broccoli
- Lunch : Sauteed Mushrooms+green vegetables + finely chopped avocado(optional).Top it with Cheese.
- Snacks: Cheese chips
- Dinner: Chicken pieces with green beans sauteed in cocnut oil.
- Dessert: Keto chocolate mousse.
- Breakfast: Mushroom omelet.
- Lunch: Fish (tuna) salad with sauteed tomato and green beans.
- Snacks: Banana bread
- Dinner: Roasted chicken with cream sauce and sauteed broccoli
- Dessert: Vanilla cake with almond flour.
- Breakfast: Bell pepper stuffed with cheese and eggs.
- Lunch: Lettuce salad with hard-boiled eggs,chicken,avocado and cheese.
- Snacks: Broccoli cheese tots.
- Dinner: Grilled salmon with spinach sauteed in coconut oil.
- Dessert: Keto brownies with almond flour
- Breakfast: Full-fat yogurt
- Lunch: Steak bowl with cauliflower rice,cheese,herbs and salsa.
- Snacks: Herbs and garlic tots.
- Dinner:Meat steak with cheesy broccoli.
- Dessert:Keto blueberry lemon cheesecake.
- Breakfast:Baked avocado with eggs.
- Lunch:Chicken salad with creamy sauce.
- Snacks: Keto onion rings fried in coconut oil.
- Dinner:Grilled fish with sauteed green vegetables.
- Dessert: Pancakes with Almond flour
- Breakfast: Cauliflower toast topped with cheese and avocado.
- Lunch: Salmon curry made in coconut oil and topped with green vegetables.
- Snacks:Mozzarella cheese sticks.
- Dinner: Meatballs served with cheese.
- Dessert:Raspberry mousse without sugar.
- Breakfast: Coconut milk chia pudding topped with coconut and walnuts.
- Lunch:Cobb salad made with greens,hard-boiled eggs, avocado,cheese and chicken.
- Snacks: Keto Pizza topped with vegetables and cheese.
- Dinner: Coconut chicken curry.
- Dessert: Keto lemon bars with almond flour.
For exact recipes E-mail me at the ID provided in the ‘Contact’ Section.
The bottom-line is that keto diet is a great idea and a scientifically proven way of dieting to lose weight quickly. If in case of any problems faced during the diet, please consult a doctor nearby.
Stay safe ! Stay indoors ! Stay healthy!
Author- Ridhima Singh
#Keto #diet #beginners #Meal #Plan #Medico #Consults